Sunday, December 5, 2010

UPdate from the hospital, Day +4



I wanted to update to say a few things! First, I am completely overwhelmed with gratitude for people's donations toward my mom's trip. We have met our goal for her ticket and because she doesn't have to pay for anything, it means that her missing a few more days of work won't be even more of a hardship so I am going to fly her here probably Dec 24-29th or something in that range. I haven't seen my mom in at least a year and I cannot even describe how excited I am. You know what I mean, right? When you're feeling sick, ALL you want is your mom. My friend Noah is leaving town around that time and has offered to leave his car for us, so my mom can take me to my appointments, go grocery shopping for me, etc. It's really all working out and I can't thank my community of caregivers enough! Truly!

Now, for the hospital update: things have been pretty rough going here, I have had a high fever since Friday night that just doesn't seem to want to quit, though the good news is that so far there is "nothing growing in the cultures" meaning it could be a fever due to my low blood counts and not an infection. My WBC is 0.16 (normal 4-11 ish) and my platelets are 17,000 (spontaneous bleeding range!), so I got my daily dose of Neupogen and a platelets transfusion this morning (they look gross). The fever is annoying because every night that I spike, I have to have blood drawn from three places. Fun times! But so far no major disasters on that end, other than the requisite complaining/panic attacks :)

The other big problem I am having is bowel issues- I won't go into detail, but I will say that they have me on OXYCODONE because of the pain in my belly. That stuff's no joke, either! I am barely able to type!

Anyway, in other news my aforementioned amazing friend Noah (who has done so much for me I don't even have room to write it out), broke his foot and is immobile! Please send us some youtube videos to watch while we are in our respective bedridden states.

Thanks for reading this far, it means a lot to me that people are keeping up and asking about me, I will do my best to keep everyone posted!


No comments: