I heard from the Hopkin's doc last night who said she would have had me on the radiation track to start about a month after transplant (which would be around the week of Jan 3). Unfort my doc, who doesn't really believe in radiation, and does believe in giving lots of time to heal, hasn't set me up with a radiation onc yet. Of course I am panicking because my gut is telling me I need radiation ASAP, but I am doing my best to be proactive and rush things forward and not think about the holidays getting in my way. I told my doc today that I am getting radiation asap, whether he wants me to or not (haha!), and he said well, yes, okay, that's fine, but you will need a scan first anyway so can we do bloodwork on 12/30 and make a scan appt?
So my plan is try and schedule the PET scan myself on 1/3 (rather than waiting til 12/30 and then not getting something for a week), ask Dr. T to write the orders for "stat" results so they call him right away, because GW takes forever to report results... and go ahead and schedule an appt for the GW radiation oncologist for that Thursday (whether I have seen Dr. T or not) to get a treatment plan and beg to begin by 1/10. That would put me about 5.5 weeks post-transplant. I am sure Hopkins would think that's close enough to a month.
The only catches are a) how quickly can I get in to a PET scan and to a Rad appt? and b) will my blood counts go up enough to actually start radiation?
Please send me vibes that people in the PET scan/radiation oncology offices will have mercy and squeeze me in, and that my stubborn blood counts will start going up!
No comments:
Post a Comment