Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Update from the hospital, Day +14: Going Home!

so grateful to be going home today. Platelets are high because of the transfusion but will probably drop, Hgb and Hct are borderline, but if a transfusion is needed I can get one at the clinic Friday. The best news is: On day +14 of my transplant, my WBC is 3.75. A healthy person's is between 4-10. I am only a few days from being normal!

Thank you body for bouncing back. Most people are in the hospital for at least 4 weeks and still have a lot of healing to do, I am out, and great, in 3 weeks. I won't know if this treatment worked for a month or so, but in the meantime at least I can be grateful to feel good again so quickly.

I am still battling the emotions about the chances of success for my transplant, given the stage 4 diagnosis, the incomplete remissions, but there is still a chance that this will work so I have to bet on it. I will be asking for radiation to at least the spots where I relapsed, which should help, and there's a good chance I can get a remission that will last at least a year so I can heal a bit before the next thing. There is a new drug that is almost approved by the FDA that is showing good results, and I have great resources at Hopkins and MD Anderson if/when it's time to start treatment again. In the meantime, I am enjoying and making the most (work and personal) of every single day that I don't have side effects.


And counting down til my mom gets here on Christmas Eve!


No comments: