We mark the days as -5, -4, -3, -2, -1 and DAY 0 is stem cell day.Then we start going up +1, +2, etc.
Not a lot to report today... just started my anti-nausea meds and steroids, and starting Ifosfamide chemo from 10AM-12Noon, Etoposide from 12Noon-4PM, and then Carboplatin from 4PM-10AM, then doing at all over again (for a total of three times!) It's a LOT of chemo. It's three times higher than what I normally get, and no breaks between drugs (they are using my two lines into the catheter (for fluids right now), AND my port (for the pre-meds). But 10AM Monday morning I will get unhooked from everything and take a shower (i will need it), then take fluids all day and the next day.
And on Wednesday I will get my life-saving stem cells back. I hope they have had a nice vacation in the freezer because they are going to have to work extra hard to make blood cells and replicate themselves over and over again. In the meantime I will be getting quite a few blood transfusions (probably red, and platelets, and I am not sure if they do white blood- i will have to ask).
Anyway, my room is awesome. It's all set up with stuff and feels cozy.
Allie helped me check in and set up my room (and brought me presents AND delicious healthy muffins), and Daphne came by later with a TON of books and stuff. I have such awesome friends!
My dear friend Noah's aunt wrote me a note which was soooo nice and helpful, about her husband (his uncle), and his battle with stage 4 lymphoma. He was cured by a stem cell. And not to sugar coat it, he had a relapse several years later but is doing fine. It's so helpful for me to hear that remissions happen to people with stage 4, and that relapses DO happen, but there is still treatment.... that's the kind of "hopeful realism" I am looking for.
No comments:
Post a Comment