
After a disappointing attempt at stem cell collection last week, a depressing appointment at Johns Hopkins, and then some low platelet counts to worry about, things are back on track.
My great nurse/transplant coordinator, Kathy, got all my pieces put back together - she got my insurance company to approve Mozobil, she got the apheresis appointment set up, the neupogen ordered and delivered, and the hospital plan set up! The part that depended on me was the blood counts... which I am happy to report were "excellent" today. Over 4 on the WBC, 10 on the RBC (I am shooting for 12 but it takes RBC forEVER to grow back, and considering all the blood I lost with the catheter/emergency room stuff last week, 10 is good enough for now! Platelets have shot up to over 140! Very relieved as they were under 40 last week. GO PLATELETS! That means my bone marrow isn't dead, haha, and so hopefully the week of building blood cells, PLUS the neupogen, PLUS the Mozobil, will get the stem cells out into the bloodstream on Tuesday morning. Please cross your fingers and toes for this one! They can do it again on Wednesday if we don't get enough on Tuesday, but that's it... eek!
Let's assume it goes well (as the doc, insurance company, and drug company all believe it will)... that will get me admitted to the hospital on Thursday! Thursday is Thanksgiving day and is also my brother Mikey's 25th birthday! A lot to celebrate. I think that day is meant to be, but I am still gonna keep my fingers crossed!!!
Thinking of Chris today, who got a not-so-good scan, and Karin, who had not-so-good platelet counts. Hoping they get some good news soon. It's the good news days, no matter how infrequent, that keep me going!
No comments:
Post a Comment