Saturday, August 11, 2012

Remission Continues, and so it goes...

Sorry for the delay in posting the results of my scan. I have noticed that no news is often good news in the medical world... but yes, clean again.

I made the mistake of reviewing the radiology report, there are all kinds of things still showing up on my scan (diffuse metabolic activity in the breasts, bone islands on my shoulder, a tiny mass still in chest), but supposedly nothing has changed since the scan before, thus all of these are just weird and irrelevant. The only flag is that while my platelets are nearing the normal mark (127, normal is 150), and my Hgb is normal again (above 12), my WBC is still half of what it should be. I asked the doc, "is this normal" and he said, "ummm no." I said, "OK, should I be worried? Does it mean something?" and he said, "umm, no." Hahah. So basically we will keep an eye on it. It's creeping up, but very slowly. It's possibly permanent damage, but I don't need any treatment for it, just to be extra careful.

I did get a cold at some point since that test, and I knocked it out with a ton of vitamins and Emergen-c, in 3-4 days Normal person cold time! So that gave me a lot of confidence.


In other news, B came to visit again a few days ago and it was lovely. He suffered a gout attack (yes, 29 year olds can apparently get gout! We think it was the crazy amounts of liver and brains and guts and stuff that he eats for work, which are apparently super gout triggers). We doped him up while he was here but it was still painful to walk around, so we spent a lot of time relaxing and hanging out. He should be coming back in October, just in time for Letelier-Moffitt.

Speaking of work, we finally got our office administrator! But it hasn't yet been announced (not sure why), so I can't say who it is!! Rachel is going to start in Development on Monday 8/20 so I have to say goodbye to her. I think I will try to take her out after work on Friday and get her some tofu fries and a vanilla mango mojito from Nooshi.

In OTHER work news, I learned how to open the shop yesterday, so I am ready for my first full day all alone tomorrow! No computer, tv, or phone available either. Just being in the (lovely) moment. I have memorized the opening and closing procedures, know how to work the register, and know about the clothes we have in stock. I am so ready to go and to prove myself in this gig.

Tonight I am doing some work- 99% answering and writing emails. I just took care of Maggie upstairs, and now I am watching Star Trek as I type this. A little pissed off still from something that happened earlier, but my boiling temp is starting to go down a little as I sit here and distract myself... so who knows what the future will hold.

I went out with a new friend, Brandon, and his husband and friend yesterday after work for a drink, and he brought me there to see if he could nominate me for Woman of the Year with the LLS. It's actually work- fundraising for 10 weeks with a humungous, gigantic goal of like... thousands... of dollars. But he seems to think I have what it takes. And it doesn't start until March so I would have time to plan out some creative ideas. I am going to say yes. I think. Allie said she would support me, which means a lot. Also did I mention there's a gala at the end?

One thing he said though, when we were chatting casually after that whole talk, was that his 30s were his best decade. That in your 30's, you're finally ok with who you are and owning that, and you start to not give a damn what people think of you, and you can make decisions about what and who you want in your life. I feel that is so true-- as I get older I feel more and more sure of myself and who I am and what I want. It's a blessing of wisdom that I am sure I've earned. I don't want to repeat mistakes or settle for anything less out of life than what I know I've worked for and deserve. I don't really feel "older," I feel "surer." I am also glad to be alive to see 30 anyway.




No comments: