Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Reactionary Rant.

This flotilla attack in which nine innocent people, on a peace mission to deliver aid to Gaza, were murdered, has gotten me more riled up then I normally get. I have gone to Israel, and I have a complicated relationship to judaism, but never once have I strayed from my belief that all people have the right to land, freedom, and safety. Yes, I do in fact find it tragic when innocent Israelis are killed, too, but I have a stronger reaction to Israel because I feel they have become a hungry beast and a bully.

There is something so fundamentally wrong here: kill more people than the other side in a war, and that gives you the right to kick people off their own land and make them prisoner. Are they supposed to feel grateful when you shut them out of all ways to self-support and then pick and choose what aid you will allow? This is what USA did to native americans (including my own great grandparents), it's what Europe did to Africa, it's what Israel did to Palestine. All sanctioned at the time by co-imperialists and all OK with international law. Are we so inured to this kind of greed that we don't even notice there is something FUNDAMENTALLY wrong here? Why do they need to build houses for wealthy americans to come settle land that doesn't belong to them? I do believe that the world should have intervened in WW2 and created a safe space for the Jewish people, it was clearly necessary after the Holocaust and they were clearly being persecuted. But... I believe it could have been done differently. And anyway, WHO made international laws? Certainly not the people being subjugated. You might have the "right" to an attack a peace mission, but you're still a giant asshole for doing it, EVEN if the other side is throwing bombs. SOMEONE has got to stand up for peace, justice, and humanity or it will never end, right?

I can't help but feel that at the end of the day, money, politics, borders, guns, religion, they are all made up by humans to justify our cravings, and they are all junk. So, swallow your pride, throw away all your justifications, and do the right thing. Put down the guns, pick up some flowers. Put down the patents, just give the information away. If people lose motivation when you take away their "500x the average worker" money, isn't that the tragedy?

sorry, tangent. Anyway, killing people sucks. Stop it. Everyone. Please.

No comments: