
I took a break from chemo and pushed everything back by one week so I could go out with my buddies to Shenandoah (pics to come later on today or tomorrow). We arrived around noonish? to Loft Mountain and all the campsites were full! We had two cars full of beer, veggie burgers, copious chips and dips, tents, sleeping pads, etc. all roughly packed with the assumption that we would be parking about 50 feet from where we were sleeping. Alas, Plan B: I was incredibly impressed with Jake's nonchalance to the point where if any part of me had even an inkling of "what are we gonna do now" it disappeared when he pulled over, sauntered over to the driver's side of Saif's car and said "so, let's just keep driving up to the campsite and see what happens, and if not we can just do backcountry." I was quite satisfied with that attitude and went back to loving the sunshine and breeze in the convertible.
No dice at the campsite gate, but a nice ranger gave us the rules for backcountry and told us to try again for a site in the morning. We checked in at the check-in place, and went on a scouting mission. Decided on the Frazier Discovery Trail and found a sweet flat spot to set up our tents. It was me, Saif, Jake, Galen, Mike, and Jack Daniels, of course. All went smoothly until night started falling and a (really, really nice!!!) park ranger came upon us and noted that we were a little too close to the edge of the 20ft from the trail rule, but we compromised a bit and he said goodnight. I really liked that ranger guy. That night we just packed in our essentials (read: beer, beans, headlamps, tents, sleeping bags/pads) and left the rest in the car. All was well. 4AM the rain came and we scrambled to put the fly on (I should say Jake, Saif, and Mike did, and I pulled in some stuff into the tent, I am not that functional at 4AM...). Slept great after that. We woke up a bit early (9AM) to pack out and to try and get a campsite.
We arrived again at the campsite checkin place, scouted around and found a good empty site, and the same nice park ranger with an inexplicable set of bandages on his face and arms declared excitedly that we had found a real gem that overlooked the valley and had an unobstructed view of the sunset. We were pleased as punch. We settled in, pitched tents, loaded up the bear box, and laced up our boots for a really nice hike.
I think it was about 8 miles? There were some cool waterfalls, or waterfalls that would have been cool if there was more water, hahah), but Jake and Galen were able to at least put their feet in the water, and we all ate peanut butter jelly sandwiches and chocolate granola bars on the rocks, and made some other "pit stops" ...
I was pretty exhausted when we got back to the tents and I was ready for my beer and french bath (e.g., strategic wet towel in the bathroom followed by deodorant, teeth brushing, and face washing). It was good enough for me to work up an appetite for that vegan sausage. Mike manned the grill brilliantly and then we drank a bunch and played Asshole. I am actually not too bad at that game, but I think Jake was the clear champion... Time to crash out again and I slept brilliantly. Woke up with some wormy dudes under my sleeping pad but wasn't too skeeved about it. It's the woods. Packed out Monday around noon and had a great drive home with a few pull-overs for some nice views. Around 2PM in the convertible, somewhere about 30 minutes from DC maybe, it started POURING. Saif can't put the top up when car is in motion, but he deftly pulled over and put it up. I was laughing so hard that i was crying, getting completely soaked, and thinking this was the perfect end to the weekend...
----------------
Chemo #5 Update:
So, had my chemo on Thursday. Everything went exactly as planned. Heather, my awesome nurse, Teresa, my other awesome nurse, and a new nurse lady that I haven't talked to before, all came over to chit chat about my adorable outfit, my plans for the night (which were pretty great), and their general advice on life... then Nora came carrying lunch and we entertained each other for the three hours I was there. It was a pretty uneventful day. My night was fabulous though.
Next day I went back to get my neulasta shot. LAME. Hurt. Blah.
Today I am good-- took my anti nausea meds, my tylenol, and my delicious corn flakes mixed with frosted flakes breakfast. I can't usually stand sweet stuff in the AM, but the chemo weekends really fuck with my taste buds to the point where my food can't be salty, sweet, or spicy enough! I can't taste it otherwise. And THAT is a very annoying way to live. So, I compromise a bit. I usually regain my taste sense around Monday or Tuesday. No other real side effects other than the typical minor bone pain and the "something in my throat" feeling (not too bad).
Hair is still there, definitely still shedding and visibly thinned out to me. But mousse and volumizing shampoo is doing the trick until at least next week. I am ready to go back to Parlour with my cute little wigs and shave my head, but I am going to wait until the last possible minute. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I like to pursue things til the absolute, bitter, and undeniable end. What was that book, Shelley? The one that you loved and showed me with all the life advice, saying that sometimes you really have to push things to the explosive, crash into the wall, end in order to really get over them? That's how I feel most of the time.
Hope you are all doing well. I am doing incredibly well. I am happy, sufficiently stressed enough at work not to be bored, but not overwhelmed, and looking forward to my favorite season which has already begun its descent onto DC...
This week's special shout outs:
CARRIE PANZER! Nice note! Thank you!
NATASHA WILDER! Adorable post card! Thank you!!
All time hall of fame winner for a weekly, dependable note: JACKIE!!
And everyone else who loves me and has asked about me, thank you so much. Your support has made a huge difference! I get a PET scan at the end of October, and doc says the cancer should already be about 80 percent gone by then. I will let you know! Stay tuned.
Anyway, it's time for my second breakfast before the day's adventures...
xoxoxo
Tiff
1 comment:
hey! forgot to respond to this when I saw it a couple of days ago.
The Book: Daily Afflictions: The Agony of Being Connected to Everything in the Universe
The Author: Andrew Boyd
The passage you're referring to:
"Seeing things Through to Total Catastrophe"
excerpt:
"When you look back on a failed relationship, you often wonder how it could have gone on for so long. For months you knew it wasn't working. Why didn't you get out before it became an irrevocable disaster? ...Because it needed to end in catastrophe...You needed to poison the well and bludgeon your heart beyond total repair...Anything less, and you'd still be holding out hope. You can always muddle along from minor disaster to minor disaster, but it takes truly heroic stamina to see things through to total catastrophe."
:D
Post a Comment