Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Life Update

Update on my life... I can't remember the last time I really checked in and journaled, so here it is:

Things have been very good around here, with a few small emergencies, but otherwise... great!




B finally came to town and this happened:




Also this:



It was so great to spend time with him and just be normal and actually touch each other and hold hands, that even before he left I was ready for him to come back! But we have the next date set: August 4th!

Since the visit I have felt more at ease than ever before. I know grownups have arguments and hurt feelings, I feel like this one, unlike others in my past, is worth sticking with. That's a crazy feeling that I wasn't sure I would ever really have the chance to feel.

--------

In other news:

My fabulous assistant Rachel is applying for a permanent job in the Development department. Great for her, but of course I am going to miss her and her super-efficient way of keeping my life in order. I never realized how much I wasn't getting done until she came into my life. One good outcome is that her organizational skills were put to use in creating an office manual so that the interns (and future project assistant) will not have to sit through my weekly/daily/hourly brain dumps. Yes, that is what I call it when I have an intern come sit next to me in my office with his/her computer and "listen" to my thoughts. I am an awesome manager, hahaha. No, but seriously, I think my first official paid staff supervision experience has been very positive. That being said, I am meeting with my boss Joy once a month for mentoring, starting next week, to start sorting through how to be even better at my own job and running my project without burning out or feeling overwhelmed, as I have frequently found myself since starting two contracts. It's funny because I KNOW that I had a more stressful job (counseling trafficking survivors) before, but when I have too many competing deadlines in one week, I have a little meltdown. I think that mentorship, as opposed to other things I have tried before, can help me immensely- especially having it with Joy, who has been shepherding me through my career since 2003.

In a couple weeks I will have to deal with the hotel/event planning tasks that I don't particularly enjoy. But when I tried to think about what it is that stresses me out about it, I realized that it was just inexperience and fear of the unknown. I have a great opportunity to shadow Bill (the Chair of the organization) and also have Rachel at my side to help me, so I have decided to jump in headfirst right now, while I have tons of support (vs. having to do it by myself some other time!)


Other news:

Tom and Erika are leaving for Costa Rica. Boooo..... But their going away party at Meridian Pint this past weekend was super fun. It was so great to spend time with them, plus Patrick my birthday twin, and Chris my new gym mate, AAAND  my favorite farmer Rory came up from West Virginia! Here is city mouse (tom- on the right)  and country mouse (rory- on the left):


Rory claims there will be a redneck tubing trip organized later this summer. We shall see!

------------

I took a full two weeks off from going to the gym since B was in town, and I feel like it made a negative difference (i think I gained a few pounds and furthermore exercise usually helps me sleep/work/feel better). I started again on Saturday and was sore all day, haha. This morning I went as soon as I woke up and I am glad I did and got it out of the way, especially because the drama of the day happened right as I was coming home:  I had to sign for a certified letter from the Board of Social Work - turns out (very long story) I have to pay a fine for a problem with my continuing education certification. $250! But it is going to be resolved with no permanent consequences, which is all that matters. I just have to wait out the procedure. Luckily I ALSO got a call this morning giving me permission to invoice for a training I did back in March that I will get paid for! So the $250 fee to the Board that would have come out of grocery money will be covered.  BIG SIGH OF RELIEF THERE!


Other dramatic things happened to other people over the past couple weeks, and I don't want to name any names, but breakups and divorces are catching like wildfire. I am really looking forward to a great relaxing vacation from June 28-July 5th in Florida with Jackie. I am not bringing my computer! I am turning off my work email and redirecting everything through my interns and Rachel, and I am not even going to write. I am going to READ! I think I will send a note to the staff list asking for book recommendations. Nothing too mindless, but something inspiring and energizing so I can come back to work ready to jump in.

Just ten days of work to go-- and I am going to work extra hard, long hours and try to overachieve so I can feel really good about the long break. Beach, manicures, swimming in the pool with a coconut drink, making dinner, central air, movies, hanging with awesome people... I need this trip! Turning 30 needs to be a good thing!







No comments: